DIGITAL LIBRARY OFFERINGS FOR THOSE PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING,
INCLUDING FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN AND SCHOOL AGED STUDENTS
The East Baton Rouge Parish Library prioritizes the health and safety of our patrons and staff.
For citizens who wish to practice social distancing by limiting their exposure in public places, including families with young children, the Digital Library offers a wealth of FREE online resources that may be accessed from home or work on any device with access to the internet.
Browse and enjoy thousands of digital items like e-books, e-magazines and e-audiobooks, plus streaming media including music, films, documentaries, and concerts. Stay in the know with online newspapers, magazines; acquire a new skill or broaden your knowledge with a variety of learning tools and platforms. Learn a new language with Mango and Pronunciator, and discover many other options for adults including fun resources such as CreativeBug, AtoZ World Foods, BrainHQ and so more.
The Digital Library is open 24/7, and its robust collection of resources are all freely available to any patron with a current East Baton Rouge Parish Library card. Just visit https://www.ebrpl.com/digital.html to get started!
Quick Reference Guide:
E-BOOKS: OverDrive (via the Libby App), EBSCO e-book Collection, Britannica eBooks, and BiblioBoard
E-AUDIOBOOKS: OverDrive, RBdigital Audiobooks, and EBSCO e-audiobook
DIGITAL MAGAZINES: RBdigital Online Magazines, Flipster, plus thousands of scholarly magazines and journals in EBSCO, GALE, and Sage
DIGITAL NEWSPAPERS: NexusUni, The Advocate, The New York Times, and PressReader
STREAMING MEDIA: OverDrive Screening Room, IndieFlix, Kanopy, and Pongalo (Spanish)
DIGITAL MUSIC: Freegal downloads and streaming music, Qello streaming concerts on-demand
ONLNE LEARNING PLATFORMS: Gale Courses, Lynda.com, Udemy, Learning Express, Safari Tech, Treehouse Cell-Ed, DigitalLearn, and Accel5
Special resources designed for young children include: Miss Humblebee’s Academy, Pebble Go, Sesame Street E-books, Early World of Learning, and Scholastic Watch and Learn.
Children’s Services staff maintains a curated list of suggested sites on their home page:
Visit https://www.ebrpl.com/Kids/index.html to access Fun Stuff for Kids, Preschool Resources, Museums with “digital” tours, Parenting information, and of course, homework help!
Library staff have also created and posted more than 40 Bedtime Storytime videos on their Facebook Page, accessible from the Library Kids Page or via https://www.facebook.com/EBRPLKids.
Fun resources geared to elementary students include: Tumble Books, Tumble Book Cloud Jr, Tumble Math, Pebble Go Next, Abdo Zoom, Scholastic Flix Collection: ScienceFlix, TrueFlix, BookFlix & FreedomFlix, plus Muzzy Language Learning and OverDrive eReading Room.
Resources geared especially to teens include: TeenBookCloud; OverDrive; Kanopy
DIGITAL LIBRARY OFFERINGS/2
Homework Help for all ages:
- Homework Louisiana offers FREE online tutoring with Master Teachers for students in Kindergarten through college from
2 p.m. until midnight daily.
- Learning Express offers coursework assistance and practice tests on-demand.
- Gale Interactive Science offers interactive experiences designed for students.
- Credo Reference
- Access Science
- World Book Online
SPECIAL INTEREST: Brain HQ, CreativeBug, AtoZ World Food, Mango Languages, Pronunciator, Signing Savvy, Hobbies and Craft Reference Center, Home Improvement Reference Center, HeritageQuest, Fold 3, and Baton Rouge Digital Archives.
Don’t have a Library card? No problem! Temporary virtual cards allow access to most digital products; see the “Library Services” tab at www.ebrpl.com for more information. Library staff are prepared to give assistance on operation of mobile devices and downloading of content such as e-books, e-audiobooks, e-magazines, and streaming media. The Library website also contains many Infoguides that describe how to access downloadable media on a variety of mobile devices.
Of course, Library cards may also be used to check out books, magazines, audiobooks, BluRays and DVDs, CDs, WonderBooks, Playaways, Playaway Views, Playaway LaunchPads, and Arduino Kits. Library due dates and renewals will be adjusted to allow patrons longer loan periods.
Drive-through Pickup/Drop Off windows are available at the Main Library on Goodwood located at 7711 Goodwood Blvd., and the Fairwood Branch located at 12910 Old Hammond Hwy.
In response to information provided by healthcare professionals and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Library has expanded its standard cleaning procedures and staff have received additional sanitation supplies. Increased efforts are being made in all of our locations including the following steps:
- Effective Monday, March 16, Library hours of operation will be modified to allow for more frequent, substantial cleaning.
- All locations will be open to the public from 10 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday. At 12:30 p.m., all locations will be closed for cleaning, and Libraries will reopen to the public at 2:30 p.m. All locations will close at 6 p.m. these days.
- All locations will be open to the public from 3 until 6 p.m. Sundays.
- Telephone reference and assistance with renewals and holds will be offered during regular hours at each location.
- Drive Through/Pickup Window service at the Main Library and the Fairwood Branch will have extended hours, serving patrons all day until their usual closing time
- Staff will wash their hands regularly.
- Hand sanitizer is available for public use at several stations throughout Library buildings as supplies remain available.
- Cleaning staff will wipe down and sanitize hard surfaces regularly.
- Large programs and events have been canceled.
- Seating and access to Library computers will be adjusted to increase distance between patrons.
Many Library programs and events been canceled. The Library’s online calendar at www.ebrpl.com will be updated frequently to indicate any new cancellations.
Tools and resources on the coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found on the Infoguide at http://ebrpl.libguides.com/coronavirus.
To learn more about the Library and any of its free programs, events and resources, call (225) 231-3750, or visit us online at www.ebrpl.com.
The East Baton Rouge Parish Library is a community service organization that connects our citizens with information, resources, materials, technology and experiences in order to make a positive difference in their lives. The Main Library at Goodwood is joined by 13 branches open seven days a week (hours vary), and Library services are available 24 / 7 at www.ebrpl.com. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest.